Monday, June 25, 2012

New Sounds For A Split Personality

I'm always on the hunt for new sounds, but I sometimes find it difficult to discover new music.  It's not physically hard for me to discover new music, not with this little invention known as the internet.  No, difficult in the sense that I have tastes that are a lot like russian roulette.  I never know what I'm going to be into tomorrow.

Have you ever gone through a phase where you're into listening to a band or a type of band or a particular genre, and you a hear a new song that you should like, but it doesn't immediately grab you, but when you rediscover it (so to speak) at a later date, it's like a auditory epiphany?  That's me and music discovery in a nutshell.  My musical choices are very much driven by my mood, time of day, weather, etc.  For example, if it's late in the evening and I'm trying to wind down, I might be in a, oh I don't know...Massive Attack sort of mood.  If I'm surfing around and discover a band who is the second coming of Led Zeppelin, I'm probably going to listen to their song (or part of their song) and move along.  When I discover something that's in line with what my brain says is a-okay, it can be life changing.  Seriously.  Other times, it's just right time, right place to discover a new tune that moves me, for whatever reason.  

Tonight, I stumbled upon a band named Broken Hands and, in particular, their song 'If You Need To Lie'.  Now, I couldn't say that their sound was what I was on the prowl for, but when the drum fill kicks in, I was definitely curious.  By the first chorus, I was hooked.  It's a sound that I can best describe as a slab of early Black Rebel Motorcycle Club meets catchy-as-fuck.  It's a definite improvement over having the theme song for Jake and the Neverland Pirates stuck in my head, but don't worry about that.  Check it out for yourself:

No comments:

Post a Comment