Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Time Flies

Everyone has a record that changed their lives (or at least they should).  For yours truly, it was Oasis' (What's The Story) Morning Glory?  From the opening chords of 'Hello' to the last note of mellotron on 'Champagne Supernova', I was enthralled.  It was my gateway drug to everything and anything Britpop (of course, those were the days before the internet, as mentioned here, so some things were easier to find than others).



Seventeen years have passed since (What's The Story) Morning Glory? was released on October 2nd, 1995.  At the time, I was lost in a post-grunge musical landscape that had all sorts of Nirvana clones and watered down alternative bands, none of whom really grabbed me.  All that changed once I unwrapped the cellophane from the packaging and put the disc in my CD player (gasp! a CD! I'm old).



Of course, this wasn't my introduction to Oasis.  I already owned their spectacular debut Definitely Maybe (I feel a kindred connection to that record, as it was released on my 17th birthday, but I digress), but there was something about WTSMG.  It just...clicked.  It was as if these songs were written specifically for me, for what I was going through, with what I was feeling (or not feeling).  Noel Gallagher has often taken a lot of flack for his "uninspired" lyrical content.  I would wholeheartedly disagree.  I find a lot of meaning in "slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball" even if some would argue it's just gibberish.



I've just gone back, as I often do on a record's release anniversary, to listen to WTSMG again.  It holds up remarkably well after all these years.  A definite classic and a must have for anyone who came of age in the 90s.  Now, about that reunion in 2015...

But seriously, where were you while we were getting high?  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment